Great simple product

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM
This is a great project. I can even see use cases puting it into the hands of end users who are able to use simple tools like this to query their databases. Thanks. I'd love an extended use of resource keys for text strings, to localize the menus and labels.
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM

I have used it many times with for example a business analyst getting access to poke around the data and schema without having to get software installed on their PC etc.

I have considered language but had no need to date, what language are you thinking?
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Hi Paul,

In my case it's french but with a localization framework it could be translated into any other language.

I'm translator for the DotNetNuke project, and member of the internationalization team. In this projet, all keys are in resx files with a key/value pair. Files are named after the locale, for example queries.resx would be queries.fr-FR.resx

In Min SQL Query I think that a main localisation.resx file could contain all keys, with additional files for pluggins.

Another problem with the current implementation is that .Text string are strongly coupled with the code, so that if you translate "Edit" to the french "Modif", it will trows an error unless you also find and replace Edit in another part of the code.

In the above example the resx disctionary file would contain a key/value pair with EditKey / Edit and the fr-FR.resx conterpart : EditKey / Modif

Benoit
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Needless to say, the 'only' thing you would have to do is replace any occurence of a static text with a function and the key parameter.
Then you can expect translators to send you their translation files. I'm convinced it would give the project a wider audience